From Indivisible – We can’t stress this enough: so much of what we care about is on the chopping block in the #TrumpTaxScam. Here’s what the GOP is willing to do just to give themselves and their millionaire and billionaire friends a tax cut:
- Penalize those with debt… and make them pay more: People with medical or student loan debt would no longer be able to deduct those expenses from their taxes.
- Attack immigrants: More than 5 million immigrant parents with US-citizen children would no longer be able to receive the Child Tax Credit. And some immigrants working legally in the US would lose access to the Earned Income Tax Credit.
- Stand in the way of adoptions: Adoptive parents would lose a key tax credit that helps offset the (very high!) costs of adoption. (This one is particularly heinous)
- Disincentivize job growth in rural and urban areas: The GOP also removes a tax credit that encourages businesses to invest in places hit the hardest by the recession — mostly rural communities and urban areas. (Hmm… what’s that about Trump being a jobs president again?)
- Exacerbate wealth inequality: The #TrumpTaxScam gives huge tax cuts to the wealthy by phasing out the estate tax, repealing the Alternative Minimum Tax, and limiting the tax rate on income earned by hedge funds, private law firms, and the Trump Organization. The bill also slashes the corporate tax rate so corporations can line the pockets of their shareholders.
- Add $1.5 trillion to the deficit: And once they balloon the deficit, they’ll use that as an argument to make deep, dangerous cuts to Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security in 2018.
- Gets rid of IRS deductions for state and local taxes. That punishes states like California, Massachusetts & New York that DO things with state tax revenue.
Santa Clarita residents are getting together to remind those who aren’t paying attention that we’re being screwed by Congressman Steve Knight & Friends. I’ll be lending support to both. Hope to see you there.
Public Vigil on the one-year mark of the 2016 presidential election.
Wednesday, November 8, 2017
4:30pm to 6:30pm (may run longer if latecomers arrive).
Location: Intersection of McBean Parkway and Valencia Blvd.
Have political and cultural events of the past year left you feeling angry, frustrated, heavy-hearted, disoriented or fired up to create lasting change that promotes the common welfare? If so, join fellow concerned citizens. Bring candles with wind-blocking holders or electric candles. Signs with positive, inclusive messages. Sponsored by SCV Unitarian Universalist congregation, a non-denomination faith organization.
More details on FB https://www.facebook.com/events/1504502889630713/
Friday, November 10
Outside of Oak Hills Elementary School Constituents we will call out Congressman Knight to oppose the GOP tax scam and protect the mortgage interest, charitable donation and state and local tax deductions essential to middle class families.
Facebook link “Knight: Oppose the GOP tax scam”
Sign up through Action Network: