Mitch McConnell is moving the Graham Cassidy Trump Care bill quickly… mostly under the radar. And he’s almost got the votes. Graham-Cassidy was sent to the Congressional Budget Office last week for a score. But don’t be fooled, we won’t have a full score or understand exactly how many people this bill will hurt before it comes to a vote. McConnell is also whipping votes and rearranging the Senate calendar to make room for one final push before the rules of reconciliation expire on September 30th.
This is the biggest threat yet. Republicans who were a “no” vote last time around are wavering. Senator McCain has said he’d follow his Governor’s lead and, yesterday, Arizona Gov. Ducey came out in support of Graham-Cassidy. And Senator Collins of Maine, previously the most firm “no” vote, is still undecided, as is Senator Murkowski of Alaska.
Indivisible has a plan.
Millions of people are depending on you to do it again. But you live in a state with two Democratic Senators who oppose the ACA. What more can you do? How can you influence persuadable Republicans in red states who may be on the fence?
Well, Indivisible has an answer! They’re bringing back the blue state/red state calling tool from the last healthcare fight. I challenge each DAA Indivisible member to make 2 calls. We will make a difference.
Here’s how it works:
- Click here to sign up to make phone calls from our peer-to-peer dialing tool.(https://www.
trumpcareten.org/calls-to- kill-trumpcare) You’ll get an email confirmation with a login, password, and URL to sign into our system. Once signed in, you can start making calls immediately — and we’ll give you a script to make it as easy as possible!
- Next, you’ll call a voter in a key state with a swing Republican Senator. These folks are your friends—they attended the Women’s March, they’re standing up to #DefendDACA, and/or fight for progressive causes.
- You explain how they have power now. You’ll remind them why the continued fight against TrumpCare is so important—and why they have particular power in this moment.
- You ask them to use their power. You’ll ask them to call their senator in opposition to the bill, and to share their own reasons for opposing it.
- The tool connects them to their Senator’s office. The call tool will allow you to automatically patch them through to the Senators’ district offices.
It’s super easy: more than 1,000 Indivisibles in blue states made 100,000 phone calls to constituents in our target states in the final two days before the healthcare vote in July. And we won. We can win this time, too.